Aging, injuries, and the effects of gravity… They all lead to degenerative changes of your spine and body. You may be surprised to learn that even conditions like disc herniations can be a normal part of the aging process. So how do you slow down father time and move on from those pesky aches and pains as you get older?
Well, it’s not with any magic pills or risky surgeries. Your body is actually designed to move and be healthy. And by staying active, eating right, and making smart decisions with chiropractic care, you can maintain a high quality of life well into your golden years. But what about those disc bulges and disc herniations?
Disc bulging (and herniations) are a natural part of the aging process. Yes, that’s right. As gravity pulls us down, we continue to age, and injuries catch up to us- our body starts to wear down and degenerative processes start. As a matter of fact, degeneration of the spine begins when we are about 30 years old! If you have had an MRI of your spine, you may have hit the floor when looking at the report. It can be scary when you see multiple levels of your spine have disc bulges, degenerative changes, and herniations. Well, don’t despair, just because multiple levels of your spine are “not perfect”, doesn’t mean that they all are causing pain. And research shows us that you are in the right place.
If you are suffering from a disc bulge or herniation that is causing pain, adjustments may be just what the doctor ordered. Here are a few quick facts you should know:
- Over 90% of people with disc herniations were “better” or “much better” with chiropractic care.
- Within just two weeks, over 55% of people had significant improvement!
- After 3 months over 75% of people were improved!
No one likes to give up their hobbies and interests due to pain. Some people just think it’s part of ‘getting older”, but we have seen 70 and 80 year olds still surfing, golfing, and stretching every day. Remember, your body is designed to be healthy; sometimes it may just need a little help. And there’s more research that shows:
- Chiropractic care provided just as much improvement as surgery for disc herniations
- Adjustments provided MORE pain relief than injections
Millions of people are staying active late in their life by using chiropractic care. Not only do chiropractic adjustments help you reduce pain, but they also have the potential to slow down the degenerative process of the spine, effectively slowing down father time. Now that’s what I call smart healthcare.
Get well and stay well by taking a proactive stance with your healthcare. Eating right, having fun, staying fit, and getting adjusted are all things you can do now to slow down the degenerative process of aging. And while we may never be able to fully reverse the aging process, we can make smart decisions to improve our quality of life and enjoy the time we have to its top potential!
- Outcomes from Magnetic Resonance Imaging-Confirmed Symptomatic Cervical Disk Herniation Patients Treated with High-Velocity, Low-Amplitude Spinal Manipulative Therapy. Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics. October 2013
- Outcomes of Acute and Chronic Patients with MRI Confirmed Symptomatic Lumbar Disc Herniations Receiving High-Velocity, Low-Amplitude, Spinal Manipulative Therapy: A Prospective Observational Cohort Study with One Year Follow-Up. Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics. Volume 37, Number 3. March/April 2014
- Manipulation or Microdiskectomy for Sciatica? A Prospective Randomized Clinical Study. Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics. Volume 33, Number 8. October 2010
- Symptomatic MRI-Confirmed Lumbar Disk Herniation Patients: A Comparative Effectiveness Prospective Observational Study of 2 Age- and Sex-Matched Cohorts Treated with Either High-Velocity, Low Amplitude Spinal Manipulative Therapy or Imaging-Guided Lumbar Nerve Root Injections. Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics, 2013 May; 36(4):218-25